The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

Wrestler Merola qualifies for state, team looks forward

The Lake Park Boys wrestling season has officially come to a close, and there is a lot to talk about. This year, varsity wrestler Nick Merola (LP ‘26), weighing in at 126 LB, was an IHSA State Qualifier for the 2023-2024 season. Varsity boy’s wrestling coach Luke Badger had a lot to say.
“This year, we had a majority of our varsity team return from the year prior. Returning athletes play a huge role in the development of our team and our individual successes,” varsity boy’s wrestling coach Luke Badger said. “With this said, complacency is something that we will never have; we will continue to push forward and get better each season, extending our accomplishments year by year.”
Some of the freshmen wrestlers were thrilled with their experience. Vladyslav Danylyuk (LP ‘27) said, “The most exciting thing for me was taking people down!”
They all also agreed that their first year of wrestling was a little bit of a learning experience.
“I always tried to learn from my mistakes and improve,” Adhrit Mahesh (LP ‘27) said. “I think I can work on my endurance and technique to become a better wrestler in the future.”
Matthew Mason (LP ‘27) also pointed out some things he wanted to improve. “The whole thing turned out great for me, although I would like to work on my strength and movement if I want to improve for the next year I do wrestling. I wish to participate in at least one more season,” Matt said.
Other freshmen also had something similar to say about being part of the wrestling team in future years.
“I plan to wrestle all four years of high school, and hope to be on varsity next year,” Vladyslav said. “Wrestling has taught me a lot about discipline, perseverance, and sportsmanship, and I would love to continue to be a part of this team and develop my skills further,” Adhrit added.
Returning to varsity, coach Badger is looking forward to the upcoming wrestling seasons and is excited about where the team is headed. “Get excited Lancers! With Lake Park wrestling on the rise, who knows where the team can go next? Join the movement now!”, Coach Badger exclaimed.