The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark signs autographs for fans at a Final Four celebration.
Sports
Madness in March and Beyond
Philip Sullivan, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Sports
Early ending to historic boy’s basketball season
Anastasia Krawczyszyn, Senior Staff • April 12, 2024
Karl Vachlin (LP 24) prepares for an event as a leader of the boys gymnastics team.
Sports
IHSA: boy's gymnastics not up to 'bar'
Uncategorized
LP seniors awarded WGA Chick Evans Scholarship
Julia Kamysz, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Frankie Ponzio (center, LP ‘24,), Jack Colucci (back left, LP ‘27), Javarius Lane (back center, LP ‘26), and Brinly Wilson (back right, LP ‘24), perform in their One Act play,
Arts and Entertainment
Lots of student-directed laughs, one act at a time

Girl’s Golf Perfect 7-0 Wins DuKane Conference

LPAthletics
Girl’s Golf poses with their conference championship plaque after their win at the conference championship.

The Lake Park girls golf team finished their regular season 7-0, sealing the deal with a win against rivals Wheaton North and a first place finish in the conference tournament. The team kicked off their season with a second place finish at the St. Viator Invite.
Samantha Rottinger (LP ‘27) shared what it was like playing in her first tournament as a freshman on varsity.
“I was really nervous coming into this tournament. It was my first match ever with Lake Park and I was not that close with the girls on the team yet, but after I started playing the nerves went away and I was able to play my game,” Rottinger said.
“Now looking back on the first tournament, I have grown in my playing and I am glad that I have gotten so much closer to all the girls on the team.”
Rottinger shot a 79 at the St. Viator invite, giving her a great start to her high school golf career. Following this began regular season conference matches, starting with a win against Batavia.
Throughout the season both levels took home many victories and individual accomplishments from invites. At the Ram Invite, the team took a second place finish with a team total of 328 that put them one stroke off tying the LP record.
The team kept playing and took first in the Jacobs Eagle Cup and Rosary Invites. Two top ten finishes at the Jacobs Eagle Cup came from Marisa Lerario (LP ‘24), who finished 5th, and Amaani Patel (LP ‘27), who finished 10th. On the day of the homecoming dance, these girls were dominant at the Rosary Invite, with 3 golfers finishing in the top ten: Lerario (1st), Rottinger (3rd), and Isha Patel LP ‘26), who finished 7th.
The JV team also went undefeated 7-0 during the season and took first place in the York Invite with Amaani Patel placing 2nd overall, and at the Addison Trail Invite with Quinn Durkan (LP ‘25) placing 1st overall. The JV team also took first place in the annual glow golf tournament.
The highlight of the season came at its culmination, the varsity DuKane Conference win. Despite pouring rain and cold temperatures, both teams shined through. This included 3 top ten individual finishes: Amaani Patel (5th), Lerario (6th), Rottinger (7th), and an individual 3rd place finish from Ella Ratini (LP ‘27) in the JV tournament.
“It was a rough round with the weather, but I did my best and the team pulled through”, Amaani Patel said. She went on to shoot a 79 that helped with the win.
This victorious journey continued to the regional tournament where the girls placed 2nd overall as a team, with freshman golfer Samantha Rottinger placing 4th overall as an individual. In addition, was the sectionals tournament where the girls competed as a team for the 2nd time in school history.
Head Coach Mr. James Chellson shares his thoughts on the season: “It was a journey filled with hard work, dedication, and moments of pure excitement. Witnessing the growth and unity of my players as they pushed their limits and achieved their goals was truly inspiring. With the blend of emerging talent and the experience of upperclassmen, Lake Park is poised for a bright future, and we’re eager to see how the team continues to thrive and excel in the season to come.”
The athletic department is proud of the relatively young team and looks forward to many victories in the future.