The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark signs autographs for fans at a Final Four celebration.
Sports
Madness in March and Beyond
Philip Sullivan, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Sports
Early ending to historic boy’s basketball season
Anastasia Krawczyszyn, Senior Staff • April 12, 2024
Karl Vachlin (LP 24) prepares for an event as a leader of the boys gymnastics team.
Sports
IHSA: boy's gymnastics not up to 'bar'
Uncategorized
LP seniors awarded WGA Chick Evans Scholarship
Julia Kamysz, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Frankie Ponzio (center, LP ‘24,), Jack Colucci (back left, LP ‘27), Javarius Lane (back center, LP ‘26), and Brinly Wilson (back right, LP ‘24), perform in their One Act play,
Arts and Entertainment
Lots of student-directed laughs, one act at a time

Boys Basketball Season Tip-Off

LPAthletics
Dennasion LaGioia (LP ’24) defends in a recent competition for the boy’s basketball team.

Basketball season is back and the Lancers are ready to defend the court.
After going 22-10 and winning a regional last season, the Lancers step confidently into this season with the goal of playing to their absolute best and working towards a DuKane Conference title and a state win.
“We have won 20+ games for the last four regular seasons and finished 2nd in Conference the last two years. This group is trying to continue that streak and get that first conference title” said Head Coach Mr. Billy Pitcher. After witnessing the first few games into the season the Lancer fans and community have high hopes for this season, mainly because of their strong defensive play.
“It would be great to see the team advance to a Sectional final, which is the Sweet 16 in Illinois and give themselves a chance to win the second Sectional Championship in school history. Playing in a Super-Sectional would be unbelievable for the school and community,” said Athletic Director Mr. Peter Schauer, who also provided some words of encouragement to the team as they head into their season.
“The team needs to disregard rankings, articles, accolades, and outside noise and focus on their work and preparations. If they can do this, stick together as a team, and lift each other up and support each other even when they make mistakes or games get tough, they can have a special season.”
The Lancers kicked off their season with the 68th annual Blue and White Scrimmage, a friendly team bonding game splitting the LP varsity players between the “blue” and “white” teams. White team took the win 45-43, with a layup from Frederick Battaglia (LP 26’) in overtime.
The grind of the season began with the Wheaton Academy Tournament. Although the Lancers encountered a bump in the road with a loss in their first game against Oak Park and River Forest, they weren’t discouraged. The Lancers came back resiliently in the second game of the tournament against Dekalb with a 50-42 win, featuring 28 pts from Cam Cerese (LP ‘24), 8 pts by Denasio Lagioia (LP ‘24) and Tommy Rochford (LP ‘24). The Lancers then picked up a post Thanksgiving 54-43 win against the tournament’s host Wheaton Academy again featuring 22 pts and 5 assists from Cerese, and 10 pts and 8 rebounds from Rochford.
The final game of the tournament was another win, 53-47, against Plainfield North with 25 pts total from Rochford and Cerese, and 9pts from Lagioia.
The tournament ended with the Lancers leading 3-1 and naming Cerese tournament MVP.
Jeremy Zakic (LP ‘24) replays his favorite memory of this tournament, learning much from his coaches.
“We were up 3 late in the game and I took a charge with about a minute left in the game. My coaches told me about being ready to take charges but being able to take what a coach is saying and actually do it is harder than it seems. Being able to do that was very meaningful to me, especially when in this case it helps seal the win,”.
The Lancers started their conference season at home with a win against Batavia, putting them 4-1 in their season and 1-0 in the Dukane Conference. As always, the win wouldn’t come without the 8 pts and 8 rebounds from Rochford, 20 pts from Cerese, and 5 pts from Matt Geraci (LP 24’).
In the first home game Mr. Schauer saw something in this team that stood out.
“Our hard nosed defense–we are consistently holding teams under 40 points which requires a real commitment to working hard on the defensive end. This will only help them be successful throughout the season and the playoffs,” Mr. Schauer said.
After playing in his last first home game for LP, Pavel Magazin (LP ‘24), said “We all played great defense and the results had shown with Batavia only having 23 points the whole game.” Pavel said his goal for this season is 26 plus wins as a team and shutting down teams defensively, a great mindset for the Lancers to be in for their next win against South Elgin.
Their second home win over South Elign came with 5 pts, 7 assists and 3/3 Fts from Matt Geraci, 26 pts from Cerese, and 8 pts and 8 rebounds from Rochford. By defeating Geneva 53-36, Lake Park improved to 6-1 with 22 pts from Cerese, 12 pts from LaGioia, and 10 pts from Rochford, putting the lancers 2-0 in the Dukane conference.
A great start for Lancers to go off, beginning to make their goals a reality. The team looks forward most especially to “not knowing what great play or shot is going to happen and what funny moments and laughs we’ll have along the way,” said Coach Pitcher.
Senior Cam Cerese’s free throw that helped him reach the monumental 1,000th point achievement will definitely be one of those “great plays.” This accomplishment named Cam the 8th player in Lancer history to get that award and be a part of the “1,000pt Club.”
Another triumphant win over St. Charles East, 62-34, featured 9 pts from LaGioia, 11 pts from Rochford, 5 pts from Walsh, and 28 pts from Cerese. This put the Lancers at 7-1 in their season and 3-0 in the Dukane conference.
We hope to see you at the games with your best spirit to help cheer the lancers boys and girls basketball teams to victory, and don’t forget to mark your calendars to celebrate the Seniors last dance, at senior night on Sat feb, 3rd.