The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

‘Lancers for Life’ on faculty compare, then vs. now

As we get closer and closer to the end of the school year, we can no doubt say time really does fly by. Anywhere from 5 to 40 years ago, like some of us, some teachers were walking down the stage, receiving their high school diplomas, ready to move on to bigger and better things they all wished to pursue. A handful, however, wished to go back, or rather stay at the place they were once taught at.

Throughout the school’s history, many graduates have made the choice to go back to Lake Park, allowing them to share their passion for learning and creativity with the future generation of students.

Talking to a portion of the Lake Park alumni, we take a deeper dive into the school’s history, as well as how the high school experience has changed over time.

First off, why teach, and furthermore, why Lake Park? Observing a recurring theme, many Lancers for Life were able to agree on one thing: working in schools is something that runs in the blood.

“My mom was a teacher, and I wanted to have the same impact on students as she did,” PE teacher Mr. Brian Fischer (LP ‘12) said.

“Having quite a few teachers in my family, it was always something I just visualized myself doing,” English teacher Mr. Erik Uppling (LP ‘91) said. “My mother and my grandmother worked in schools, also not to forget my aunt and uncle as well. It’s just been something that has run from generation to generation, and I am glad to be a part of it.”

Having a positive impact on students is something that all teachers strive to achieve, and with the influence the alumni received, it only felt right to pay it forward.

“I knew I wanted to have the same impact on Lake Park students, similar to the impact I received when I went to school here,” Mr. Uppling said. “There was just something about Lancer pride that I developed as a student that made me want to come back and pass it on.”

Business teacher and head baseball coach Mr. Dan Colucci (LP ‘88) explained a similar reasoning. “I chose to get into teaching because I wanted to feel as if I made a difference in someone’s life.”

Another thing the alumni were able to agree on was the amazing experience they all had as a Lancer, specifically.

“I came back to teach at Lake Park because I had such a positive experience here.” Mr. Fischer said.

Science teacher Ms. Leah Macnamara echoed a similar sentiment. “I really enjoyed my time at Lake Park as a student and knew it was a great school,” Ms. Macnamara said.

With the world going through incredibly fast development in technology, both campuses have been quick to implement Chromebooks and other forms of electronics into classrooms for simpler learning. “New ideas, concepts, and information are always being discovered, so we make sure as teachers to use that in our classrooms,” Mr. Fischer said.

Mr. Uppling and Mr. Colucci both described how technology has affected the subjects they teach. “For me, the main difference when it comes to English now vs. then is the whole technology part. The discussions on novels and what we read generally stay the same, but the way students complete their work and return it back to us is all done through technology, which has just been a whole new thing all together,” Mr. Uppling said.

Mr. Colucci agreed with Mr. Uppling’s statement.

“Obviously, there was no internet back then and computer usage was almost non-existent in school. Basically all work was submitted through pen and paper.” Mr. Colucci said.

During the 2000s, both campuses underwent major renovations, making some aspects of the schools look totally different.

“I was a student right before the additions happened at Lake Park. It’s crazy to think back and to remember what some areas in the school looked like compared to what they look like now,” Ms. Macnamara said.

Mr. Uppling continued, “The school went through an enormous facelift a number of years ago, so there are parts of the school that look very familiar and parts that look much different.”

When asked if students had it easier back then or now, teachers had very straightforward responses.

“Academically, students have life way easier now,” Ms. Macnamara said.

“I feel it is easier to study now with such a wide variety of tools and online study games.  Also everyone in essence has hundreds or thousands of tutors at their disposal by having online material like Youtube available.”

However, teachers argued that the presence of social media being apparent in most kids’ lives has made it challenging for them to grow and achieve more as students.

“We had the freedom of being able to have privacy and of not knowing what other people were doing all the time. I feel like this allowed us to be more uninhibited to explore ourselves as individuals approaching young adulthood,” Ms. Macnamara said.

“Today, students have way more resources to succeed, but when it comes to life, students have it harder today because social media makes living life authentically harder to do,” Mr. Fischer summarized.