New West, East Campus Principals

LP adopts two principal model; appoints Drs. Ellett and Potts to lead each campus
Dr. Potts was hired as principal for the 2023-24 school year at East Campus.
Dr. Ellett was hired as principal for the 2023-24 school year at West Campus.

Exciting and drastic changes were made at Lake Park starting in the new school year.
Lake Park has hired many new faculty members and changed positions of current ones, most notably Dr. Alexia Ellett as West Campus Principal and Dr. Sean Potts as East Campus Principal.
The two have devoted themselves to accommodating the Lake Park culture while also working towards bettering the school, from either new school wide policies or forming connections with the student body.
Prior to Lake Park, Dr. Ellett was the English Department Chair and then Assistant Principal at Wheaton North High School for 16 years in total.
As she has transitioned into her role at Lake Park, she said she is thrilled and that “everyone has been incredibly welcoming and kind.”
Dr. Ellett has quickly sought to connect with the student body.
“Within the first two weeks of school, I visited every English class to welcome them back, introduce myself, and offer any support needed throughout the year,” Dr. Ellett said.
She also attended the powderpuff football game and other sporting events such as football, boys and girls cross county, boys and girls golf, and tennis.
Additionally, Dr. Ellett has attended the club meetings for Lancer Nation, the Black Student Union, and the Muslim Student Alliance.
Dr. Ellett’s commitment to the student body is evident by her warmly greeting West Campus students at the door each morning.
On the East Campus side is new principal Dr. Potts. Originally from Virginia, Dr. Potts is a Northwestern graduate. He started in education teaching middle school band in Richmond, Virginia.
After earning a Master’s Degree in Education in 2008 from Northwestern, Dr. Potts went on to teach middle school band in Dekalb, IL for 6 years before being hired as the Dean of Students and then Assistant Principal for Curriculum & Instruction at DeKalb High School. Dr. Potts came to Lake Park in 2021 to serve as Associate Principal for two years at East Campus before being appointed principal this school year.
Dr. Potts said that he is extremely excited to be serving as the East Campus Principal this school year.
“I am incredibly proud to be a Lancer, and to work with such amazing students and staff. When I first came to Lake Park in 2021, as the Associate Principal at East, I knew I made the right choice to join the Lancer family,” Dr. Potts said.
He has become involved with the student body by speaking with students in the classroom to learn more about their experiences at school and what they love best about Lake Park.
Dr. Potts also says that connecting with the students is the “best part of his job” and is even launching a new Student Advisory where East Campus students will have an opportunity to meet with him throughout the school year.
According to Dr. Potts, he initiated the program to “continue learning more about how to make the Lancer student experience at school the best it can possibly be.” In addition, he has also made an effort to be at a variety of athletic and activity events this fall, such as football games, cross country meets, volleyball games, Black Student Union meetings, and Muslim Student Alliance meetings.
Dr. Pott’s extensive involvement in Lake Park stems from his own involvement in high school as a student. “I know firsthand how much involvement in my school community positively impacted me when I was in high school,“ Dr. Potts said. “Being in band in high school was one of the best experiences I ever had – it gave me the opportunity to travel, perform, and make lifelong friends. I also got involved in NHS, Student Council, and other leadership groups that I believe contributed to the job and career I chose to follow.”
In all, the new leadership at Lake Park seeks to spread positivity and benefit all Lancers. Dr. Ellett aspires to “listen, learn, and support every Lancer,” and as Dr. Potts notes, both of them “are taking time this year to learn more about the goals and aspirations of our students, staff, and community. It’s important to us that we have a good grasp on what the Lancer community wishes to see in the future, as we want to make sure those goals are reflected in our own vision for Lake Park moving forward.”
The two have created an Instagram account, @lpprincipals, where they share and showcase involvement in Lake Park academics, athletics, and activities and hope to foster a healthy school environment for all Lancers.