The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark signs autographs for fans at a Final Four celebration.
Sports
Madness in March and Beyond
Philip Sullivan, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Sports
Early ending to historic boy’s basketball season
Anastasia Krawczyszyn, Senior Staff • April 12, 2024
Karl Vachlin (LP 24) prepares for an event as a leader of the boys gymnastics team.
Sports
IHSA: boy's gymnastics not up to 'bar'
Uncategorized
LP seniors awarded WGA Chick Evans Scholarship
Julia Kamysz, Senior Editor • April 12, 2024
Frankie Ponzio (center, LP ‘24,), Jack Colucci (back left, LP ‘27), Javarius Lane (back center, LP ‘26), and Brinly Wilson (back right, LP ‘24), perform in their One Act play,
Arts and Entertainment
Lots of student-directed laughs, one act at a time

Lake Park Students Celebrate Polish Independence Day

November 11th marks the end of a particularly horrible war, a conflict which directly impacted the majority of the world. It was known as The Great War, the War to End All Wars, and, usually referred to as World War I. On the aforementioned date, in 1918, Germany (member of the Central powers) and the Allied powers signed a peace agreement. Despite fighting not ending in other parts of the world, it was a step towards reaching a conclusion to the war. From then on, the day would become known as Armistice Day. Eventually, the date was associated with Veterans’ Day in the United States, to celebrate all members of the American military who fought in any war. However, the signing of the armistice is also an important event for many other countries, including Poland.
Ania Puzia (LP ‘26), a student whose parents are both Polish, says, “[The day is when World War I ended], Poland won independence, and became a country again.”
For over a century, it was partitioned between Russia, Prussia (part of Germany), and Austria-Hungary. Despite several attempts to regain its freedom, such as the November Insurrection of 1830-1831, Poland remained under foreign control. Yet, once the armistice was signed, it was granted the right to return to being a country.
While World War II would result in another occupation by Germany and the Soviet Union (a communist state formed in Eastern Europe and parts of Asia, notably including modern-day Russia, amongst other countries), the end of one partition remains important to many Poles.
Celebrations vary depending on both people and places. “In Poland, people hold parades with colors of the flag (red and white),” Ania said.
To celebrate indepedence, there is even a parade in Chicago. There are ways for patriotic individuals to celebrate, as well. For example, Ania’s family displays the Polish flag on November 11th.
However, the Eastern European nation is not alone in terms of its historical situation. Finland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania all also gained independence once World War I ended.