The Lake Park Perspective

The Student News Site of Lake Park High School

The Lake Park Perspective

The Lake Park Perspective

LP Students Volunteer Time to Fight Food Insecurity

The holidays are the perfect time to recollect and realize all one can be thankful for. However, for those in need, the holidays induce stress when realizing the racking costs of goods like food and presents. To combat this panic, Lake Park’s Student Council ran their yearly Thanksgiving Food Drive collecting food for Lancer families in need.

Ms. Taylor McCarty, Student Council sponsor, shared a sentiment regarding the StuCo members who “are always the minds behind our fundraiser or philanthropic events.

“In the past, our students felt that families in need would appreciate additional food around the holidays,“ Ms. McCarty said.

This year, 21 families were helped by the donations. The students were incentivized to donate through a competition between first-period classes. The winning class from East was Mr. Novakowski’s first period with 219 items. Ms. Molitor won at West with 102 items. Both classes will receive a free breakfast for their extraordinary efforts.

Student Council participates in many similar activities throughout the school year. Vice President Katerina Couralas (LP ‘24), noted the food drive is not the only philanthropy Student Council works on.

“Our Powderpuff event is our largest fundraiser by far. We donate all of our proceeds to ‘Making Strides Against Breast Cancer’, which supports cancer research and families affected by it. We doubled our profits from 2022, raising almost $8,000 for the cause,” Couralas said.

What may appear as just a club about student government is actually so much more, according to President Sofia Ranallo  (LP ‘24).

“We appreciate everyone who donated their time and efforts to this food drive and hope to plan another in the future.”

Volunteering is an important pillar of the community and aiding those in your community. Lake Park’s Lancers have made a large impact at the Itasca Food Pantry, where a large number of Lancers volunteer there.
    One of the most important tasks at the pantry is inventory and keeping track of stock. Zachary Worwa (LP ‘24), who has been a committed volunteer for seven years is one of the head managers of the pantry and manages inventory.
    “It is a great pride to come out here every Saturday and support the people of Itasca. It is always a blast and all the volunteers have so much fun,” Zach said.
    Maya Krolikowski (LP ‘24) is a leader of household goods and monthly bags. She is responsible for making hundreds of bags containing toiletries, paper towels, and laundry detergent every month.
    “The Itasca Food Pantry has helped me make lasting connections and new friendships I could have never been able to make,” Maya said.
    Several alumni still volunteer at the pantry. Vincenzo Pecoraro (LP ‘20) is the lead of the pantry every Saturday. “The pantry has helped shape me to be who I am today.”
    Vincenzo has been an active volunteer for the last decade along with his brother Rosario, who graduated in 2022, is also a volunteer.
    With the sheer number of lancers at the pantry, they are bound to make an impact. Megan Sheridan, the manager of the entire food pantry is “very thankful for all the help and time the youth gives back. The pantry would not be the same without them.”
    There are 12 Lake Park students and alumni who are active volunteers at the Itasca Food Pantry. If you would like to join this growing number of Lancer volunteers there is a link on the Itasca Food Pantry’s website to help “feed hope” to Itasca residents.